FUS Fitness Mission Statement
The Department of Athletics is an integral part of the entire
Franciscan University of Steubenville educational experience.
Franciscan University of Steubenville has embraced a philosophy
that a well-rounded athletic and fitness program should be offered
as a part of its educational mission. The purpose of athletics and
fitness is to assist students in obtaining a well-rounded education
consistent with the University’s liberal arts, philosophy and
As a Catholic University, FUS is committed to traditional
Catholic values that have been a part of the University’s
history. These include the development of the human spirit as well
as the body, the pursuit of excellence in all endeavors, the
fostering of Christian character, the call to personal integrity
and the acceptance of personal responsibility.
FUS Athletic Department Value Statements
- We aid in creating a faith-centered environment that both educates and mentors the concept of continued personal conversion.
- We respect and understand the personal worth of each student and help nurture the diversity that exists within the campus community.
- We recognize that no responsibility exceeds the mission of educating and graduating the student athletes.
- We use Finnegan Field House and its recreational components to promote interaction between students, faculty and staff.
- We offer intramural and recreational opportunities to promote interaction between students, faculty and staff.
- We recognize the importance of providing equitable opportunities for both men and women.
- We promote the values of honesty, commitment, hard work, dedication and self-sacrifice.
- We recognize the integral role that athletics plays in providing unity, high morale, and spirit among students, employees, alumni and friends.