Early Lead Not Enough For Men's Lacrosse

Early Lead Not Enough For Men's Lacrosse

BETHANY, W.Va. –Despite an early lead in the first half, Franciscan University men's lacrosse team fell to Bethany College 15-9 after losing momentum and nearly being shut out in the second half.

In the first quarter, Franciscan lost the opening face-off, but took no time in creating a Bison turnover and taking control of the game offensively. Less than two minutes into the game freshman attacker and midfielder Luke Gilman scored a goal putting the Barons on the score board first.

Less than two minutes after his first goal, Gilman won the starting face-off and quickly passed to a waiting Ryan Zbikowski who cleanly finished it off, giving the Barons a two goal lead.

"In the first quarter we executed exactly how we wanted too," head coach Pete Rosaschi said. "This was an example of the other team just wanting it more. Sometimes you come out and you want it and they want it, but they just wanted it a little bit more."

Bethany took the lead going into the second quarter, but the Barons wouldn't give up and brought the score back within two ending the half at 10-8.

Despite an aggressive first half the Barons fell short in the second, scoring only one goal to Bison's five. Losing 37 turnovers on the game cost the Barons defensively giving the momentum to Bethany.

"We came out flat in the second half, and didn't have an edge," Rosaschi said. "We didn't execute on our game plan and weren't disciplined in our approach. We need to work on the basic defensive philosophy of lacrosse."

Gilman played a strong offensive game throughout and was the Barons' leading scorer with five goals and one assist. Zbikowski was not far behind with three goals on the day.

"Luke is our main guy and he played his heart out," Rosaschi said. "Both Ryan and Luke had very solid games; these two guys stepped it up and played very consistent all game."

The Barons return for their first home game against Hiram College Saturday March 8, starting at 2 p.m.