Barons Fall to Grove City on the Road

Barons Fall to Grove City on the Road

GROVE CITY, Pa. – The Franciscan men's lacrosse team fell to Grove City, 18-3, Saturday afternoon.

The Barons fell to 0-3 on the year while the Wolverines improved to 1-1 on the season.

Grove City won the opening faceoff and immediately went to the cage. The Wolverines scored just 15 seconds into the contest to kick off an 11-0 run that spanned the first quarter and first six minutes of the second quarter. The Wolverines won the faceoff with the 11-0 lead but after a save from freshman goalie Grant McKeown, Grove City turned the ball over and Franciscan set up its offense. Senior captain Jonas McCaig created his own shot and got the Barons on the board with his fifth goal of the season. The Wolverines closed out the first half with three-straight goals to take a 14-1 lead into halftime.

During halftime, head coach Pete Rosaschi made an adjustment to his defense before the second quarter and the Barons defense settled into the adjustments in the second half.

Franciscan scored the first goal of the third quarter with 4:06 left. The Barons were in their man-up offense and sophomore TM Thomas' first shot was stopped by the Grove City goalie. Junior Dan McCartney picked up the ground ball and got it to McCaig. McCaig assisted on Thomas' next shot, this time finding the back of the net. Franciscan held Grove City scoreless in the third.

"we went to our special zone defense, held them to only nine more [goals] and only four in the second half," remarked Coach Rosaschi. "I am very proud that we did not give up and continued to fight."

Starting off the fourth quarter man up, the Barons were not able to hold their initial possession but forced a turnover and senior captain Mike Rosaschi picked up the ground ball to get Franciscan back on offense. McCartney's next shot was saved by the ball stayed with Franciscan as freshman Joe Bartholomaus assisted on McCaig's second goal of the game with 14:36 to play in the fourth quarter. The Wolverines closed out the game on a 4-0 run to seal the 18-3 win in the first-ever meeting between the two teams.

"The learning process is long," remarked Coach Rosaschi who was encouraged by his team's ability to adapt and change through the game.

The Barons were led by McCaig with two goals and an assist while McKeown picked up five ground balls and freshman Jerome Harkins scooped up four. William Muraski caused a pair of turnovers and picked up two ground balls for Franciscan.

Sophomore Luke Lyon was 5-17 on face-offs for the Barons. McKeown finished the day with 15 saves, a career-best for the freshman.

The Barons look for their first victory of the season as they host Earlham on Monday for a 1 pm non-conference showdown. The Barons and Quakers will square off on the campus at Bethany College in Bethany, W. Va.