Barons Fall to Westminster

Barons Fall to Westminster

STEUBENVILLE – The Franciscan men's lacrosse team fell to Westminster (Pa.) on a rainy Wednesday afternoon 21-7.

In a competitively charged contest between the two teams, the Titans used a 5-0 first quarter to fuel their victory. Trailing 7-0 early in the second quarter, senior captain Mike Rosaschi got the Barons on the board as he set up right outside the crease and took a pass from sophomore T.M. Thomas for the Barons first goal. After winning the ensuing faceoff and drawing a Titan penalty, Franciscan found itself in good shape to score. Rosaschi took the ball in from the end line and made a quick move around the crease to beat the goalie low for Franciscan's second goal of the game.
The Titans scored the final three goals of the half, including a pair of man-up goals, to carry a 10-2 lead into halftime.

Westminster scored a quick goal and then found itself man up early in the third quarter and the Titans took advantage of the man advantage to push their lead to 12-2 with 11:35 to play in the third. After a pair of slashing penalties on Westminster gave the Barons a 6-4 advantage on offense, Rosaschi scored his second man-up and third goal of the game to cut the Westminster lead down to 12-3 thanks to a pass from fellow captain senior Jonas McCaig. The Titans had an answer for the goal after forcing a turnover over off the next faceoff and going directly to the cage, Ray Shalvoy scored his 15th goal of the season to push the lead back to 13-3.

The Titans scored three more goals before Rosaschi's fourth of the game cut the deficit down to 16-4 with 55 seconds left on another man-up opportunity. With a flag down, the Titans scored with less than a second left on the clock of the third to take a 17-4 lead into the final quarter.

The Barons were able to kill off the minute penalty to start the fourth quarter and a pair of Titan penalties to go with a Baron penalty with 13:36 to in the fourth forced the Titans to a 4-on-5 offensive scheme. The Titans scored a man-down goal just under a minute into the non-releasable penalties to give Westminster an 18-4 lead. After all of the penalties were released, the Titans pushed their lead to 19-4 Following the Titan goal, the Barons were down two defensemen because of penalties but junior Dan McCartney picked up a loose ball thanks to a caused turnover by senior Leo Munday and sprinted to the cage before the Titans could get back on defense and scored Franciscan's first man-down goal of the season to cut the lead to 19-5.

Westminster scored its final two goals in the final five minutes, but freshmen Joe Bartholomaus and William Muraski scored the final two goals of the game to bring the score to its final, 21-7.

Rosaschi led the Barons with four goals while McCaig had three assists and Thomas added two. Freshman Jerome Harkins led Franciscan with 13 groundballs while sophomore Luke Lyons won 15 of his 28 faceoffs. Junior Matt Marrenna made 15 saves in net for the Barons.

Franciscan will take four days off for the Easter holiday before returning to action against St. Vincent on Memorial Field on April 4 at 4pm.